Austin Simms, CEO of Dayrize, joins the eCom Ops Podcast. He will talk about the environmental impact of products, sustainability methodologies, and environmentally friendly best practices for best eCom results
- Austin’s LinkedIn
- Austin is an experienced entrepreneur and business executive
- Dayrize’s website
- Dayrize enables businesses and consumers to bring consumption within planetary boundaries. It has partnered with over 500 brands and scored thousands of products
- Austin holds a Bachelor of Business Marketing from Monash University
- Austin is an experienced entrepreneur and business executive with a demonstrated history of working in senior roles across multiple industries. He is a professional in business development, commercial strategy, go-to-market planning, and marketing strategy
- [ 00:01:57 ] Austin started Dayrize four years ago with a partner as a way to help companies and consumers understand the environmental and social impact of the products they buy
- [ 00:03:14 ] The reason why most consumers don’t understand the impact of products is because eCommerce brands and platforms find it hard to understand the impact at a product level
- [ 00:03:56 ] The part of the eCommerce supply chain with the most significant environmental impact is the products. Primarily the sourcing of new materials to make these products
- [ 00:04:36 ] To lessen your impact on the environment, choose a product whose materials can be easily sourced and have a low impact on the environment
- [ 00:06:46 ] Most consumers prefer to shop sustainably, and with the right information as an eCommerce brand, you can make better decisions on products that are environmentally friendly
- [ 00:08:28 ] Carbon is a major trigger for the planet; however, to create a holistic report of a product’s environmental impact, you need to look at the following:
- Climate impact
- Biodiversity impact
- Secularity Impact
- Social impact
- Water impact
- [ 00:09:34 ] As an eCommerce entrepreneur, you can attract a wider range of consumers when you start looking into the sustainability of the products you sell
- [ 00:09:46 ] Transparency on the sustainability of your products is critical to attracting and retaining consumers
- [ 00:11:11 ] Dayrize uses technology, i.e., a Saas approach to economically measure your products’ impact in minutes. It cuts out the need to go into the supply chain and manually measure the impact of your products. You can now do that rapidly at scale
- [ 00:12:40 ] When looking at the tools to measure the impact of your products, consider the following questions:
- How holistic is the measurement?
- How does it comply with regulations?
- What are the cost implications of using the tool?
- [ 00:14:56 ] To be sustainable as an eCommerce brand, be more judicious about your stock products. The biggest impact comes from using virgin materials to make products. Hence consider these sustainable models to reduce your environmental impact:
- Repair programs
- Secondhand products
- Reuse products
Austin’s No.1 eCom Ops hack
“Choose products made from materials that can be easily sourced and have a low impact on the environment”.
Subscribe to the eCom Ops Podcast